Thursday, March 13, 2008

Third time's a charm!

I've been learning judo for about six months now. Its a lot of fun, a good workout, and a very good way to meet interesting folks. I've lost some weight, learned some things, and hurt some people.

Funny thing about that.

In the six months since I started, I've had three fairly significant injuries. First, I pulled my groin doing practice falls...I was scared and tense, and just pulled it. That sidelined me for a week or so.
Then, on about christmas time, I stepped funny and bent my big toe back under my foot, spraining it pretty badly. It took a little over two weeks before I was ready to try it out again.
Just the other day, training at the local prison, I got my third, and arguably most serious injury. The prison is run by the prefecture, and as a public institution, its gym is open to the public...kinda. The prison guards are required to practice martial arts a certain number of hours per week, and as long as you know a bit about what you are doing, you are welcome to join in the practice sessions. Wednesday was about my fourth time out to the prison...I was getting better...getting some confidence....when BAM! a stocky little dude tossed me on my shoulder, dislocating it. Hurt like a @#$$@##%.
Apparently, a dislocated shoulder is one of the most common injuries in judo, and just the week before at the prison, I had done basically the same thing to one of the guards...tendon Karma perhaps. I'm taking care of it tho....

One problem....tomorrow is skiing in Nagano, the last trip of the season...and I can't not go....its gonna be interesting....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.